Sore throat Neck pain Headaches
Migraines Nasal Congestion Coughs
Bronchitis Sinus infection Upper respiratory infection
– 1 pair of thin cotton socks
– 1 pair thick wool socks
– warm bath or foot bath if required
- Soak the pair of thin cotton socks completely with the coldest water possible. Be sure to wring the socks out thoroughly so they do not drip.
- Warm your feet first. This is very important as the treatment will not be as effective and could be harmful if your feet are cold when beginning the treatment. Warming can be accomplished by soaking your feet in warm water for at least 5-10 minutes of taking a warm bath.
- Dry off feet and place cold wet socks on feet.
- Place the thick dry wool socks over the wet cotton socks and go to bed. Avoid getting chilled.
- Keep the socks on overnight. You will find that the wet socks will be warm and dry in the morning.
Effects of the Warming Sock Treatment
With the contrast of cold and the gradual warming, this treatment serves to increase the circulation of blood and lymph and reduce congestion in the upper respiratory passages, head, and throat. It has a sedating action and many patients report that they sleep much better during the treatment. The warming sock treatment is also effective for pain relief and increases the healing response during acute infections.